Frequently Asked Questions
SIPs – CAR / CKA
How can I be considered to have the relevant knowledge and experience to trade Specified Investment Products?
You may be considered to have the relevant knowledge and experience if you meet any of the following assessment criteria:
1) Done 6 or more trades in the past 3 years (trade experience in each product will be qualified for trading in respective products only):
- Contracts For Differences
- Foreign Exchange Margin Trading
- Structured Deposits and Dual Currency Investments
- Structured Products
- Unit Trust and Investment-linked Insurance Policies
2) Have a diploma or higher qualification in relevant courses such as accountancy, actuarial science, business, capital markets, commerce, economics, finance, financial engineering, financial planning, computational finance and insurance;
3) Have a professional finance-related qualification (for example, CFA, ACCA etc.)
4) Have a minimum of 3 consecutive years of working experience in the past 10 years in the development of, structuring of, and management of, sale of, trading of, or research and analysis of investment products or in the provision of training in investment products. (Work experience in accountancy, actuarial science, treasury or financial risk management may also be considered as relevant experience).
Other faq that might help you
- What is Customer Knowledge Assessment (CKA) and Customer Account Review (CAR)?
- What are Specified Investment Products (SIPs)?
- Who will be exempted from CAR/CKA?
- Do I have to go through CAR or CKA modules and SGX Online Education on SIPs if I want to trade in only selected products? Is it compulsory?
- Do I need to open a separate account to trade SIPs?
- How do I know if a counter is a SIP?
- With counters being labelled as “@”, does it affect my trading?
- Where can I find more information about SIPs?
- How do I submit the CAR and CKA Assessment?
- What is the validity period if I qualify for CKA and CAR?
- What happens if I do not meet any of the assessment criteria?
- How should I proceed after completing the E-learning for CKA (CFD)?
- Is there any cost attached to the CAR or CKA module and SGX Online Education on SIP?
- Can I go through SGX Online Education on SIPs even if I do not wish to invest or if my broker has assessed that I can already trade in SIPs?
- What do I need to do if I fail the SGX Online Education but still wish to trade or continue trading in listed SIPs?
- What are Excluded Investment Products (EIPs)?
- If I did not pass the CAR, can I trade foreign shares that are classified as EIP?
- What about joint account holders? Do both account holders have to complete the CAR/ CKA assessment?
- I already have an existing Phillip Securities account. Do I have to go through the CAR/ CKA assessment again if I open another account with Phillip Securities?
- If I have already gone through the CAR/ CKA with another broking firm, do I have to go through the assessment with Phillip Securities to trade SIPs?
- Can retail customers who have previously been assessed to have relevant knowledge or experience in derivatives and/or unlisted SIPs (i.e. they passed the CAR and/or CKA) request for financial advice?
- Can I satisfy the assessment if I have previous trading experience (>6 trades) with other brokerage houses?
- Is my Trading Representative qualified to trade SIPs? How does it affect me?
Did this answer your question?