Investing for the Long Term: A Lifestyle Choice May 26, 2023
Fortune favours the prepared. Investing for the long-term is a lifestyle choice that can provide individuals and families with financial security and peace of mind. It requires discipline, patience and a commitment to planning and executing a long-term investment strategy. With turmoil apparent in the global political scene, volatility in the markets is inevitable. We understand that these factors might serve as inertia to commit to long-term investing. However, it is especially important to persevere and follow through in these trying times to maximise returns. To drive this message home, let us share the benefits of investing for the long term and provide tips on how to develop a successful long-term investment plan.
Benefits of investing for the long term
Investing for the long term provides several benefits that make it an attractive option for those seeking financial security. The most significant advantage is the potential for compounding returns. Compounding is the process of earning returns on your initial investment, as well as on the returns earned in previous years. This can lead to exponential growth over time, which is a powerful way to build wealth.
Another benefit of investing for the long term is that it can help individuals to weather market volatility. Short-term fluctuations in the stock market can cause panic and lead to impulsive decisions made on raw emotions, such as selling stocks at a loss. However, by investing for the long term, individuals can ride out market downturns and benefit from the eventual recovery.
Finally, investing for the long term can help individuals to achieve their financial goals and aspirations. Be it for saving for retirement, buying a home, or paying for a child’s education, a long-term investment strategy can provide the necessary funds to achieve these objectives.
Tips for developing a successful long-term investment plan
Developing a successful long-term investment plan requires discipline, patience and a commitment to planning. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Set clear financial goals: The first step in developing a successful long-term investment plan is to set clear financial goals. This involves identifying what you want to achieve with your investments and how much you need to save to reach these goals.
- Diversify your investments: Diversification is the process of spreading your investments across different asset classes, such as stocks, bonds, and real estate. This can help to minimise risk and maximise returns over the long term.
- Invest regularly: The seemingly impossible task of resisting temptation to spend on ‘wants’ instead of investing regularly can be eliminated with the rise of automation. Automatic investment tools such as Robo Advisory take the emotion factor out, and ensure regularity in building wealth over time. Regular investments also provide the benefit of dollar-cost averaging, which involves buying more shares when prices are low and fewer shares when prices are high.
- Monitor and adjust your portfolio: It’s important to regularly monitor your investments and adjust your portfolio as needed. This involves reviewing your asset allocation, rebalancing your portfolio, and making changes based on market conditions. With the accelerated pace of life, many might find it challenging to monitor and adjust their portfolios constantly. Why live with that constant worry when you can simply leave it to professionals to manage your investments for you?
- Seek professional advice: We recognise that management of investment portfolios may be daunting, therefore we highly encourage all investors to consider seeking the advice of a financial advisor. A professional can help you to develop a long-term investment plan that is tailored to your unique financial situation and goals.
Investing for the long term is a lifestyle choice that can provide individuals with financial security and peace of mind. By developing a disciplined, patient, and well-planned long-term investment strategy, individuals can benefit from the power of compounding returns, weather market volatility and achieve their financial goals.
If you’re looking for a simple and automated way to invest for the long-term, consider opening a Robo account with SMART Portfolio, offered by PhillipCapital’s POEMS platform. SMART Portfolio offers professionally managed portfolio services, utilising Cyborg Methodology. With fees starting from as low as 0.5% per annum, with a minimum investment amount of SGD 300, they make it easy for you to grow your wealth.
Whether you’re a seasoned investor or new to the game, you can gain access to a sophisticated investment solution that can help you grow your wealth over time. To learn more about SMART Portfolio from PhillipCapital’s POEMS, you may refer HERE to find out more!
These commentaries are intended for general circulation. It does not have regard to the specific investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs of any person who may receive this document. Accordingly, no warranty whatsoever is given and no liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss arising whether directly or indirectly as a result of any person acting based on this information. Opinions expressed in these commentaries are subject to change without notice. Investments are subject to investment risks including the possible loss of the principal amount invested. The value of the units and the income from them may fall as well as rise. Past performance figures as well as any projection or forecast used in these commentaries are not necessarily indicative of future or likely performance. Phillip Securities Pte Ltd (PSPL), its directors, connected persons or employees may from time to time have an interest in the financial instruments mentioned in these commentaries. Investors may wish to seek advice from a financial adviser before investing. In the event that investors choose not to seek advice from a financial adviser, they should consider whether the investment is suitable for them.
The information contained in these commentaries has been obtained from public sources which PSPL has no reason to believe are unreliable and any analysis, forecasts, projections, expectations and opinions (collectively the “Research”) contained in these commentaries are based on such information and are expressions of belief only. PSPL has not verified this information and no representation or warranty, express or implied, is made that such information or Research is accurate, complete or verified or should be relied upon as such. Any such information or Research contained in these commentaries are subject to change, and PSPL shall not have any responsibility to maintain the information or Research made available or to supply any corrections, updates or releases in connection therewith. In no event will PSPL be liable for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages which may be incurred from the use of the information or Research made available, even if it has been advised of the possibility of such damages. The companies and their employees mentioned in these commentaries cannot be held liable for any errors, inaccuracies and/or omissions howsoever caused. Any opinion or advice herein is made on a general basis and is subject to change without notice. The information provided in these commentaries may contain optimistic statements regarding future events or future financial performance of countries, markets or companies. You must make your own financial assessment of the relevance, accuracy and adequacy of the information provided in these commentaries.
Views and any strategies described in these commentaries may not be suitable for all investors. Opinions expressed herein may differ from the opinions expressed by other units of PSPL or its connected persons and associates. Any reference to or discussion of investment products or commodities in these commentaries is purely for illustrative purposes only and must not be construed as a recommendation, an offer or solicitation for the subscription, purchase or sale of the investment products or commodities mentioned.
About the author
Digital Marketing Executive
Chenkai is an executive with the Digital Channel that specializes in Excess Fund Management (SMART Park), SMART Portfolio, FinanceFit, and Phillip Protect.
He is passionate about investment tips and tricks that would help clients benefit in the long-term. Thus, he is always reading articles and blogs that would provide insights.