Why trade with Margin?
Make Larger Investments with the Same Amount of Capital
With leverage, you will have access to a larger amount of investment capital which can potentially lead to higher returns.
Scenario 1 | Trade with Cash
Assume you have S$10,000 cash and purchased 10,000 Grade A shares at S$1.00. You sold S$10,000 Grade A shares at S$1.20.
Your gross gain is S$2,000^
Scenario 2 | Trade with Margin
Assume you have S$10,000 cash (up to 3.5 times leverage) and purchase 35,000 Grade A shares at S$1.00. You sold 35,000 Grade A shares at S$1.20.
Your gross gain is S$7,000^
At the same time, with leverage, you may experience higher loss.
Scenario 1 | Trade with Cash
Assume you have S$10,000 cash and purchased 10,000 Grade A shares at S$1.00. You sold 10,000 Grade A shares at S$0.80.
Your gross loss is S$2,000^
Scenario 2 | Trade with Margin
Assume you have S$10,000 cash (up to 3.5 times leverage) and purchase 35,000 Grade A shares at S$1.00. You sold 10,000 Grade A shares at S$0.80.
Your gross loss is S$7,000^
^Returns shown here are for illustration purposes only. Returns may vary and do not take into consideration any transaction and financing costs.
Based on the dividend yield of 6% p.a. and 3.08%* financing charge, Initial Investment: S$50,000,
Total purchased based on margin multiplier:
S$50,000 x 3.5
Estimated annual yield: S$175,000 x 6% = S$10,500
Estimated cost: (S$175,000-S$50,000) x 3.08% = S$3,850
Net annual yield: S$10,500 – S$3,850 = S$6,650
#ROE calculation above does not take into account potential capital gain or loss.
#ROE shown here is for illustration purpose only. All calculations have been rounded to one decimal place. Dividends may vary; computations do not take into consideration any transaction costs, dividend handling fee, time value of money & such other costs customers may incur. Financing charges shown here are for illustration purpose only, actual charges may vary based on the compounding of financing charges. Phillip Securities Pte Ltd accepts no liability whatsoever from customers relying on any calculations provided here. Customers may incur capital losses which may be magnified as a result of leverage.
Traded Currency Financing
Margin (M) Account offers financing in 9 Different Currencies namely SGD, USD, HKD, JPY, AUD, GBP, CAD, EUR & CNY.
Customers can pledge their local Singapore shares & take financing in the traded currency of foreign markets where applicable.
By taking financing in traded currency, customers can potentially minimize their forex risk.
Find out more about
More facilities available with Margin (M) Account
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. We offer financing for Shares and Bonds when you pledge any of these assets with us. Please visit here for more information.Shares
Phillip Securities offers financing on selected Shares, ETFs, REITS and more.
For more info, please call our Margin team at +65 6531 1560.
Investors can take advantage of our competitive interest rate & pledge their shares and/or bonds to receive financing.
To find out more, please call our Bonds Team at 6212 1818.
The multiplier table below illustrates how much you can leverage to purchase shares, ETFs and bonds based on different types of collateral
|Step 2 |
|Step 1 Step 1
(Cash, Shares, ETFs, Bonds)
Client deposits $10,000 cash and wishes to purchase Grade A Shares
Client deposits $10,000 cash and $10,000 Grade A Shares
No financing is provided for Grade C shares, you can use your Grade A or Grade B shares as collateral to purchase Grade C shares
For No Change in Beneficial Owner Transfer:
From CDP to PSPL custody type Accounts: S$ 10.70 per counter
From other financial institution to PSPL custody type Accounts: PSPL does not levy transfer in fees.
Find out more on SGX share transfer charges.
PSPL does not levy any transfer in fees for foreign shares.
Note: There will be a fee of US$50.00 for transfer fee for transfer done via Direct Registration System “DRS”.
Fees are subject to changes without prior notice.
Find out more on foreign share transfer charges.
Investments in REITS or bonds can have achievable yields of 5% p.a. in 2017. Coupled with SBL facilities, total potential returns of a high 7% p.a. can be achieved.
With financing, the potential returns can be increase two fold.
(eg. Based on prices at 22/05/17, holding Frasers L&I shares generated approx 5.36% p.a. dividend yield for shareholders. Successful on-lending of your Frasers L&I during this period could generate an indicative additional return of 2% p.a.)
To find out more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Opt in to SMART Park which is an Excess Funds Management facility that manages your idle cash into Phillip Money Market Funds discretionary upon opt in. Let SMART help you maximise your investment opportunities.
- Fast and simple online transfer & withdrawal
- No sales charge or administrative fees
- No lock-in period
- The largest^ retail SGD Money Market Fund in the market
^Based on Total Net Assets (TNA) figures reflected in FundSingapore.com
Terms & Conditions for Shares Financing Rate from 3.08% p.a. and 0.18% commission:
- Promotion is applicable for new Margin (M) Account opened from 15 April 2020 to 30 September 2020 (“Eligible Accounts”).
- For Eligible Accounts with financing (optional), promotional financing rate is 3.08% p.a. for SGD, 3.99% p.a. for USD and 4.50% p.a. for HKD.
- All Eligible Accounts can enjoy promotional online brokerage rates via POEMS platforms, of:
- 0.18% or S$25 minimum commission for Singapore listed shares
- 0.18% or US$20 minimum commission for US listed shares
- 0.18% or HK$100 minimum commission for Hong Kong listed shares
- Promotional rates are valid from 15 April 2020 to 30 September 2020; thereafter prevailing rates apply.
- For new Eligible Accounts opened, customers have to opt in for Multi-Currency facility, MMF and the opening of a Securities Borrowing and Lending account to be eligible for the promotion.
- After the promotional period, all eligible accounts will be subject to our rate renewal exercise. During this exercise, rates will be renewed based on the prevailing interest rate environment, quality of shares in your portfolio and your trading activity.
Additional waiver for Eligible Accounts
- Waiver of 1% cash dividend handling fee for SGX listed shares till 31 December 2020.
- Waiver of account management fee till 31 December 2020.
- The following customers are not eligible for this promotion:
- Customers with existing Margin (M) or Share Financing (V) Accounts opened prior to 15 April 2020
- Customers that have closed their Margin (M) or Share Financing (V) Accounts after 15 April 2020
- Transferring of Securities from existing Accounts to Eligible Accounts will be subject to S$64.20 handling fee per counter.
- Transferring of Securities out of Eligible Accounts during the period of 15 April 2020 to 30 September 2020 will be subject to S$64.20 handling fee per counter.
- The following persons are not eligible to participate in this promotion unless approved by the management of Phillip Securities Pte Ltd (“PSPL”):
- PSPL institutional Customers and corporate Customers
- PSPL account holders whose accounts have been suspended, cancelled or terminated
- PSPL individual Customers with single counter value of more than 2 million
- All employees of PSPL and its associated entities (e.g. Trading Representatives, Financial Advisors); PSPL and all its subsidiaries (direct or indirect) are not eligible for this promotion.
- Notwithstanding anything herein contained, PSPL reserves the right at any time in its absolute discretion to (i) amend, add and / or delete any time of these Terms & Conditions without prior notification (including eligibility and qualifying terms and criteria), and all participants shall be bound by such amendments, additions and / or deletions when effected, or (ii) vary, withdraw, or cancel any items or the promotion without having to disclose a reason thereof and without any compensation or payment whatsoever. PSPL’s decision on all matters relating to the promotion shall be final and binding on all participants.
- By taking part in this promotion, customer acknowledges that he/she has read and consented to these Terms & Conditions.