Table of Contents
The abbreviation FAANG is used to refer to a few of the most well-known IT companies. FANG, which stands for Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, and Google, was the original abbreviation. Investors began including Apple in the group in 2017, changing the abbreviation to FAANG.
The FAANG businesses alone have a market capitalisation worth trillions of dollars and have the power to affect the whole stock market. These businesses brought about some of the most rapid global developments and the technological revolution, making them powerful.
What are FAANG stocks?
The publicly traded shares of Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, and Google collectively are known as FAANG stocks. They are among the most well-known and successful technology companies in the world. Jim Cramer first used the term “FANG” to describe these firms in 2013, complimenting them for “completely dominating in the market.” Apple then joined these businesses to change the term FANG to FAANG in 2017.
FAANG’s market value as a whole currently exceeds US$3 trillion. It contributes 10% of the US$31 trillion market capitalisation of the US stock market. Even investors who do not hold FAANG stocks are impacted by the price movement of these stocks, which affects the overall market.
Understanding FAANG stocks
The FAANG corporations, or the five mega-giants and most profitable businesses on the American stock market, are Facebook Inc. (FB), Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), Apple Inc. (AAPL), Netflix Inc. (NFLX), and Google LLC (GOOGL; now Alphabet Inc.
These businesses are among the best-performing ones not just in the US but also internationally. They have altered what it means to interact, socialise, shop, and have fun. Due to their size, dynamism, development possibilities, and, most significantly, the leaders that these firms represent, FAANG stocks are very well-liked. They have a position in the portfolios of many investors.
FAANG companies have historically outperformed their competitors by a wide margin in the US markets. Consider the S&P 500, a thorough representation of the American market, to understand this better. As of August 2021, the FAANG stocks represented more than 19% of the S&P 500. A study should be the first step in the ideal strategy. The rapid growth of the digital economy and the ongoing emergence of new businesses make risk assessment another key factor.
How FAANG stocks work?
As more high-tech companies have recently gone public through initial public offerings (IPOs) or SPACs, the IT sector has grown significantly for investors. If you want to increase the value of your assets and get in on the next big thing. Tech stocks are now the best option.
On Nasdaq, individual shares of Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, and Google (Alphabet) are traded. You can purchase all five to build your very own FAANG portfolio. Remember that these businesses have already been identified, and their shares are rather pricey, costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars each.
Factors to consider before investing in FAANG stocks
Consider the following factors very carefully before investing in FAANG stocks:
- Make sure your investment portfolio reflects your specific financial and investing objectives. Only purchase FAANG stocks if they complement your goals.
- The budget you have set aside for your investments and the current values of each FAANG stock should be considered. Each of them might be too expensive for you to afford, so investing in them via fractional investing might make more sense.
- Lastly, you should compare the FAANG stocks to their rivals.
Benefits of FAANG stocks
The following are the benefits of investing in FAANG stocks:
- Investors are very interested in FAANG companies because of their potential to provide significant profits. They have gained popularity among investors due to their considerable growth through time.
- These stocks also gain from the “network effect,” which occurs when a company’s growth draws new customers, partners, and products. They all have intangible assets like Google, Facebook, and Amazon’s user data warehouses, Netflix’s original programming, and Apple’s ability to sell hardware and software.
Customers of these brands are devoted to their goods and services. The businesses additionally personalise the user experience, which keeps the clients interested, by using technologies like machine learning, artificial intelligence, and predictive modelling. As a result, the user bases of the businesses continue to expand and produce larger income for them.
- FAANG stock prices have a long history of being remarkably stable. These equities have remained a reliable investment choice despite market turbulence.
Frequently Asked Questions
All FAANG stocks are simple because they are publicly traded businesses with substantial daily trading volumes. They are frequently featured in well-known exchange-traded funds as well (ETFs).
Investors who think the FAANG stocks say that it is challenging to buy them for a reasonable price. So, these investors might be tempted to put off investing in FAANG stocks as they wait for their valuations to drop.
Either of the two methods can be used to invest in FAANG stocks. Either mutual funds or index funds are options for investing. The other option is to buy these stocks directly through their stockbroker.
The profits from investing in FAANG stocks are attractive because they exceed the typical American stock market. Therefore, FAANG stocks are the finest to invest in if an investor wants to diversify their portfolio and is considering buying international assets.
Before investing in FAANG stocks, the following points should be taken into account:
- American equities also declare dividends. Dividend income from FAANG stocks could be included in the investor’s yearly income and taxed according to the investor’s tax bracket. But this differs from country to country.
- For instance of Singapore, there is no dividend tax.
- You must trade them in US$ if you want to trade directly in FAANG stocks. This makes consideration of the exchange rate necessary, for thsoe outside the US.
Most Popular Terms
Read the Latest Market Journal
2023: What you need to know about Market Volatility & Your Investments
The S&P 500 finished 2022 with a 18.1% loss, marking the 7th worst loss since...
Introduction to Global Recycling Day Did you know that the Global Recycling Day falls on...
Top traded counters in February 2023
Start trading on POEMS! Open a free account here! Events to note – At a...
How to identify and trade a downtrend
Introduction When the stock markets take a dip, investors tend to panic sell. However, there...
Top traded counter in January 2023
Start trading on POEMS! Open a free account here! At a glance: The “January effect”...
Intuitive Surgical, Inc (NASDAQ:ISRG): Leading Healthcare Stock to Look out for
On 1 Feb 2023, the Federal Reserve raised interest rates by 0.25%, bumping the federal...
Key Events in 2023 to Look Out For
In 2022, the Russia-Ukraine war caused prices to spiral globally, causing inflation in the US...
Should You Consider Index Investing?
There has always been a debate in the investing community about whether active or passive...